Monday, September 6, 2010

Cashews.

In my life, I have come into contact with several people with what I have thought to be quite peculiar 'addictions'; I do not mean for the word, addiction, to exude a negative connotation. I am not speaking of those addictions that bring sorrow to one's life; rather simply, I speak of the condition of being addicted to a particular thing, an innocent thing. For example, I once had a male client who was a self-proclaimed addict to bananas. He was mentally dependent on consuming at the very least one banana a day, however, a typical day involved the ingestion of 3-5. A banana seems harmless, and yes, he could be addicted to worse, however, he had no control over bananas and bananas controlled him. I giggled at first - thought about it more - then wondered if this mental dependency was a weakness that would be a challenge in helping him reach his health and fitness goals. Turns out: it was.

I have met all kinds of people with silly addictions: lemons (seriously - he ate nearly a bag a day - poor digestive system), bakers chocolate, pickles, etc. The list goes on, for as many people live this earth. Please do not go on self-diagnosing your addictions to odd objects. There is surely a difference between an addiction (the fact or condition of being addicted to a particular substance, thing or activity) and a craving (to feel a powerful desire for something). We have the power over the things we crave - but when those things overpower us - it is an addiction.

There are so many terrible things to be addicted to today its frightening; many of which we do not even realize are harmful to us. America's addiction to food has crept up on us over the years, and has rapidly developed into an unhealthy mess that is killing us. We cannot let food overpower us. We deny that it does - we think that we are in control - but our waistlines say otherwise. It has been a concern of mine that food controlled me. Worried that I desired this food or that food too much, asked myself if I could really "live without it," when it was something I knowingly knew I did not need as part of my diet. I worried until I tested myself (unknowingly).

I struggle with turbulent stomach ailments, granted as far as I know I do not have Ulcerative Colitis, Stomach Cancer, or worse, but it has definitely not been a sunny walk in the park. Upon monitoring my food intake last year, it seemed that nuts such as Cashews, Macadamias, Walnuts, Pecans, and the like wreaked havoc on my system. I was devastated. I LOVED Cashews. I ate them daily. Plain, roasted, unsalted Cashews. They were nutty, but soft and absolutely delicious to my taste buds. How could I sacrifice Cashews? The answer swiftly came with my next stomach storm - the cashews were not worth it. I deserved better health more than my taste buds deserved Cashews. It turned out that I can, on occasion, enjoy these nuts, but in moderation; which in turn, is perfect. I eat nuts everyday. Different kinds in different forms, mixed with different foods, but never more than an ounce. However, I savor that ounce - chew it slowly with purpose - and as a result never need, nor desire more than that ounce.

I have found the purpose that nuts serve me (they certainly make an excellent snack!) instead of being captive to a bag of Cashews.

No comments:

Post a Comment